Rhubarb Compote


Once again our rhubarb is outdoing itself trying to out perform the other backyard plants and I do have to say - 

is looking pretty gorgeous.   

But this year I am determined to start putting it on our table. 

I’m beginning with rhubarb compote from a recipe I found this morning on a blog that

I follow.  Sounds yummy!

 
 
Here is the recipe:
1 pound (455 grams) rhubarb stalks, trimmed and sliced into ¾-inch chunks
½ to ¾ cup (100 to 150 grams) sugar
2 Tbsp. (28 grams) unsalted butter
2 Tbsp. orange liqueur, such as Cointreau, Grand Marnier or whatever you choose 
 
 

In a medium bowl, toss the rhubarb with the sugar.  Set it aside while you melt the butter in a heavy medium saucepan over medium heat.  When the butter has melted, add the rhubarb, sugar and orange liqueur.  Allow to cook, undisturbed, for about 2 minutes, until the rhubarb begins to release its juices.  Then gently stir, and continue to cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the rhubarb is very juicy and those juices begin  to thicken.  The compote is ready when the rhubarb is tender and beginning to fall apart and the juices look thick, about 10 - 15 minutes.  This is a cook-it-until-it-looks-right-to-you situation:  trust your judgment. 

Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator, and serve cold, cool, or warm. 

Footnote:

We like things less sweet so I have cut the sugar to a little under ½ cup.  The sugar is what helps to thicken the rhubarb’s juices and gives the compote its body, so it can’t be cut too much.  And if you cut back too much the texture will be different.  And I substituted orange juice for the orange liqueur because that’s what I had in my kitchen. 

See, I told you it would make it to my kitchen. . . I know you didn’t believe me!

No comments: