Every summer our guest room hosts family and friends from around the United States. In July I picked up my niece from California at the airport. We came home and spent the rest of the day in the kitchen cooking and baking together. I had found a recipe in one of my Italian cookbooks for Italian Pizza. Which in reality had nothing to do with pizza as I knew it. It was a sweet bread/cake? I showed the recipe to my niece and she decided that was her project for the afternoon. It was pretty labor intensive. Much kneading and rising and kneading some more. But the end result was worth the effort. As I made cream puffs she would call me over to smell the yeast in the bread (one of my favorite smells) or to check out how nicely it was rising and I would counter with, do you smell the cream puffs baking?
We ended our day with fresh salmon baking and potatoes roasting in the oven and later that night as we curled up to watch a movie we ate strawberry shortcake with our Italian sweet bread.

No comments: